Roseville Durable Power of Attorney
Why You Need to Make a Power of Attorney in California
A good estate plan will always fully address the distribution of your assets upon your death—this is typically done through the use of wills and trusts—but it will also include arrangements to cover the possibility of you becoming incapacitated. If you become unable to make decisions for yourself because of a disability, an illness, or an accident, having a durable power of attorney in place will designate a person or persons to make these decisions on your behalf. Whether you choose a family member, a friend, or someone else as an agent to handle your affairs, a well-crafted power of attorney (or POA, for short) can allow that person to handle a wide variety of critical matters.
These matters include the following, and more:
- Medical treatment, including surgical procedures, feeding tubes, respirators, and pain medication
- Finances relating to payment of bills, banking, investments, and filing of taxes, among other things
- Business decisions
- Retirement and pension benefits
- Buying and selling of real estate or other property
Respecting Your Choices & Protecting Your Interests
Everyone has his or her own opinions about his or her health, finances, and family. At Cecil Cianci Law, PC, our attorneys can develop a comprehensive estate plan for you, which takes into account your particular needs and wishes. Our Roseville estate planning attorneys can assist you in protecting your assets, providing for your family, and making sure your healthcare wishes are honored.
We can assist you in establishing two kinds of durable powers of attorney, which are:
- Immediate power of attorney. This type of power of attorney will give your spouse or another trusted person decision-making power right away—as opposed to requiring unconsciousness or another event to trigger it.
- Springing power of attorney. A springing power of attorney is designed to take effect based on specific criteria that you choose—if you are in a coma, for example.