If you are divorcing your spouse and share children, one of the key issues you must settle is child custody. When family courts determine child custody, they examine several factors to assess what would serve the best interests of the children. Continue reading to learn more about the factors a judge will review before rendering a child custody decision.
Deciding Child Custody in a Divorce
Unlinking your life from your spouse will be a challenging and emotional process, especially if children are involved. Children thrive on stability and consistency, so a judge will make a decision that best supports that.
Here are some additional factors a judge will examine:
- The age of the children
- The wishes of each parent
- The living situation of each parent
- The physical and mental health of each parent
- The ability of each parent to offer a loving, safe, and stable environment
- The willingness of both parents to support one another’s relationship with the children
- The relationship each parent had with the children before the divorce
- The ability of each parent to provide continuity for the children
- The living accommodations of each parent’s home
- The ability of each parent to provide for the physical and emotional needs of the children
- Whether one parent may have provided the majority of the children’s care up to this point
- If there is confirmed evidence of domestic abuse or neglect by either parent
- In some cases, a judge may also consider the wishes of the children if they are old and mature enough
Child custody is one of the most sensitive family law matters most will ever face, but the better you understand how a judge renders such decisions, the more effectively you can navigate your case. However, it is crucial to hire an attorney with extensive experience in handling these cases.
Discuss the Details of Your Child Custody Case with an Experienced Attorney
Divorce is a difficult experience for families, especially when it comes to child custody. With the assistance of a knowledgeable legal advocate, however, you can obtain the best possible results. At Creative Family Solutions, Cecil Cianci Law, PC, our family law team has the compassionate, insight, and experience necessary to help you navigate the complexities of your child custody case. You can rely on us to ensure you receive the best possible results.
Reach out to our law office today at (916) 675-3866 to set up an initial consultation with a member of our legal team to discuss your case.